Re: gEDA-user: Attribute Net (without pin assignment) - for Power and Port Symbols

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 23:59 +0200, Krzysztof KoÅciuszkiewicz wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 11:22:54PM +0200, Markus Traidl wrote:
>
> > Actually I would like to use only the net attribute. There I could
> > assign net=3V3 instead of net=3V3:1.
> >
> > I know that the ":1" is that the gnetlist tool knows that the 3V3 is
> > connected to pin 1.
> >
> > But in case of a "One-Pin-Symbol" the gnetlist tool could assume that
> > the only net should be assigned to the only pin.
>
> This has been asked for several times and I don't see a reason why this should
> not be allowed for single pin symbols and only for pin number 1.
>
> The patches are attached - please test and report any potential breakage.

I would advise a note of caution. In general, I don't like it when tools
start special casing things like this.. it just feels wrong.

This is a FAQ though..

The problem is that one can completely validly override nets for pins
which don't exist in the symbol. (E.g. hidden power pins).

People are proposing we add a new special case, which says "if the user
omits the :1, assume a ":1" suffix when interpreting this particular
attribute. If (and only if) the symbol has one single pin.

What about the cases where this is a mistake? The net= attribute was
supposed to refer to some implicit power pin - not the device's one
symbolic pin, but the user forgot the suffix.

Our power symbols already fell like a bit of a kludge as there is no
physical pin or component which ends up in the netlist file.

(Why should we have to give that power symbol's pin ANY pinnumber
attribute? Why is pin 1 special?)

Does special casing pin 1 as the "Missing ':?'" case help teach users
how to use the net= attribute properly in the general case? I don't
think so.

_I_ think it adds to the confusion - as it would mean there are two
completely different syntax for the same attribute to be used in
different situations.

I don't want to see that special case code proliferate in gEDA. We have
enough already!

A far more satisfying solution in the long run would be to make the
symbols which annotate net naming (like the power and ground symbols,
off-page labels etc..) have an editable attribute associated with the
PIN which gets hooked up to the net which becomes named (or renamed).
(netname=....) as if it were on the net its-self.

I realise this isn't currently possible, as we have no means to set or
override attributes on child objects of a complex (e.g. its pins).

Aside..

For some tools (Xilinx's schematic editor springs to mind), the net name
is a property of the net, and annotation markers you add are just
graphical sugar around a visualisation of the net's name attribute. I'm
not quite sure about whether power rail symbols transfer a name to nets
they are attached to.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,