Re: gEDA-user: PCB nanometer conversion

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 07:03:26PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> Nanometers is the desired units.  Yes, you're limited by default to a
> seven foot wide board on 32-bit systems.  Oh well, use a 64-bit type
> for something that huge, if you can find a fab that can make it :-)
>
> No, no real progress lately.  If you want to help, the most important
> thing you can do is go through the sources and find all the places
> where the scale factors are hard-coded (look for "x / 100" for
> example) and edit them to allways use COOR_TO_MIL etc.  We'll probably
> need a full set of X_TO_Y macros (coord_to_mm, coord_to_mil,
> coord_to_cmil, cmil_to_coord, etc).

Yikes! There are a lot of hard-coded values. Most of them are
easy to spot (usually there is an if statement with PCB_TO_MM
conversions on one side, v/100.0 on the other).

However, I have a couple of questions:

  1. I am bumping up against the MAX_* constants, specifically
     MAX_GRID, but they're all too small now. Nanometers are
     much smaller than 1/100 mils. Why are these there and what
     can I do about them?

  2. What about the checked=gridsize,1000 properities in pcb-menu.res?
     What is likely the cleanest way to make these values base-unit
     agnostic?

--
Andrew Poelstra
Email: asp11 at sfu.ca OR apoelstra at wpsoftware.net