Re: gEDA-user: setting text editor for gEDA

Hi Werner,

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 02:40:17PM +0200, Werner Hoch wrote:

> > > If you replace it with $EDITOR and recompile, than you'll be able
> > > to set your editor via an environment variable.
> >
> > I replaced it first with $EDITOR then recompiled it and install it.
> > I do export EDITOR=mcedit on the Bash prompt, then run gEDA, but
> > still can't use Text editor from the Tool / Text editor menu.

> Mmh, I've tested it on my computer an got following results:
> It works:
>   * if I start geda from the same shell window where
>      I exported $EDITOR
>   * if I set $EDITOR in the login shell (in ~/.profile) and the
>      editor does not need a terminal
>      (for example xemacs instead of mcedit)
>
> > Then I replaced it with "mcedit" and do the rest, but still remain
> > the same.

> > Why can't I succeed with it? Thanks for any advices!
>
> Can you tell me how you've started geda?

I have started geda from an icon, because my window manager is Window
Maker.

Now, I have recompiled again geda (have edited the tool.c with $EDITOR).

It works for me to, if I start geda from the same shell window where
I exported $EDITOR=mcedit, but if I exported $EDITOR=xedit after, then it
opens still mcedit. Why?

Now I edit the .bash_profile with this:
export $EDITOR=xedit
relogin in the X Window, but still remain the same.

I appreciate any advices!

--
Regards,
Paul