gEDA-user: pcb newlib packages

I have been playing with creating footprints to help automate the
interaction of gschem and pcb. So far I have been able to assign
value attributes in gschem, create a project file, and generate a
pcb from gschem2pcb.

Once in pcb all the elements are pack in to top left. Disperse, optimize
rates net, and auto route all work.

However, the "auto placement" parks some of the element off the screen.
Examining the pcb file reveals the elements have negative x,y position.

All the elements were hand edited to have a x,y position of (1000,1000).

I am also confused as to the placement of the various rc files. Some tutorials
have them in $HOME while others in ~/.gEDA.

All tools built with Stuart's 20060731 CD install on Fedora Core 4.

George