Re: gEDA-user: default attribuet visibilty

Are there any plans to integerate gattrib into gschem proper?

No. As for now I plan to keep it as a separate utility.

At one time were were discussing implemetning lockfiles so you
wouldn't get confused about whether gattrib or gschem "owned" the .sch
files.  That project is also in the TBD list.

As for integration into gschem, others are talking about making things
like gsch2pcb and gnetlist integrated into gschem in the sense that
you could use pull-down menus to invoke the progs and then communicate
to them over e.g. pipes.  The same could be done for gattrib.  I have
made no plans to do this myself, however.

I scanned thru the code looking for a mechanism to force the order an
size of columns and I must admit defeat. The code is well written with
plenty of descriptive comments, but the overall size and complexity
is more than this casual (or worse) reader wants to delve into.

I'm flattered that you think the code is well written! (*blush*) Actually, there are a number of nasty hacks and bad programming practices in places (like I access members of the libgeda data structures directly, instead of using a fcn from the libgeda API). HOwever, I do make an attempt to comment profusely so that others can follow along with what I am doing.

I do agree that the program is complicated.  The most complicated part
is the GUI (notably the GtkSheet widget), which I stole from GtkExtra
and adapted to my purposes. That's the GPL way!.  I also piggybacked
off of code from gnetlist. Basically, gattrib is a bunch of code which
takes data from the libgeda data structures, populates its own data
structures with that data, and then stuffs the data into the
GtkSheets for display.  When you save out the design, it does the
reverse.

I did put some explanatory docs in the source directory (and in the
"design" sub directory) which may help decode what is going on.  I
also stand ready to help any intrepid hacker who wants to work on
gattrib and asks me questions.

Stuart