gEDA-user: device attribute

Many of the symbols contain an entry in the form of "device=xxx". However these entries do
not appear to in the ".sch" file when the symbol gets added to the schematic. We can manually
assign a device attribute which appear to have the same syntax.

Am I missing the process of importing attributes from the symbol files? What is the purpose of
assigning attributes in the ".sym" file if they are not used?

BTY, most of my recent posts (complaints) are because I have some dead time awaiting boards
developed with the gEDA tool-set. I have been using gEDA for quite a few years and have not
adapted my methods to utilize the newer tools such as gsch2pcb, gattrib, and the various
options associated with gnetlist.

I also want to automate the parts/bom so to insure that I order parts rather waiting till
the iron is hot.

Thanks,
    George