Re: gEDA-user: gschem: Adding net names to a bus

> As I said, this feels cumbersome, and I thought I would ask if there
> are easier ways to enter in a bunch of similar netnames.

What I sometimes do is ---

  1. Create a schematic with a single net.
  2. Edit the netname, font size, name position, etc until the net
      appearance is satisfactory.
  3. Copy the net as many times as desired.
  4. Close the schematic and edit net names in EMACS.
      A search and replace macro makes this easier.
  5. Use gschem to correct the positioning of misplaced nets and then
      copy the net schematic into your main schematic.

(* jcl *)
Thanks... I'll keep that in mind.  It fits my typical workflow of "I
know the tool well enough that I know what tricks I can play with
it"... except that I don't know the tool that well yet :-).

In the mean time, I'll start dreaming fondly of having enough spare
time to add a "net name" menu item to gschem that would put up a
dialog box (I never remember the difference between "modal" and
"non-modal", but basically the same kind as gets put up when adding a
part from a library), prompts the user for a net name, and then allows
the user to place it on the schematic, incrementing the numeric part
if present.

Right now my spare time is devoted to designing a board using EDA
tools I've never used before. I'm trying very hard not to allow myself
to be too distracted by, "Gee, if only it did this...", in the
interest of actually getting the darn thing designed.

Thanks again for the tip.

--wpd