Re: gEDA-user: How to change the length of multiple nets at once?

On 8/14/06, Ales Hvezda <ahvezda@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
>Is there some way to adjust the length (i.e. end points) of multiple
>nets at once?

        No builtin mechanism exists at this point.  This has been
requested a few times in the past, so it's somewhere on the todo list,
however, filing a feature request never hurts.  This might be a good
task for somebody wanting to get involved in development.

I'm keeping a list of "wishes based on first impressions".  When I
finish my design I'll review them and see how many are still
applicable once I have more experience with the tool.  The ones that
still make sense will wend their way into feature requests, or,
possible, patches to the code.

>The answer I came up with as I wrote this was to attach off-page
>connectors to each of the nets, then I should be able to grab
>multiples of those and move them left or right as I desire.  It could
>be argued that having off-page connectors is a good idea in the first
>place.  But I am still curious to learn if there is some other
>mechanism to do this.

        Clever workaround.

-Ales
The key to making that work would be another feature I miss...

It would be nice if "Redo" redid the last paste, down (up, left,
right) some increment.  Then I would attach the first off page
connector, copy it, paste it on the next net down, and then just hit
"R" over and over again until all of the nets had off page connectors
attached to them.

This has an obvious application to attaching a bunch o' nets to a bus.

It probably has other applications as well.

It's enough to make me want to dive into the code... I just need to
finish this design first... then I need to fab it... then I need to
assemble it... then I need to debug it... then I need to write the
code for it... then I need to breathe :-)  Of course, if I don't get
some funding for the design soon, then the fab, assemble, ... cycle
will stall and I can distract myself with other ideas (such as
tinkering with gschem).

--wpd