Re: gEDA-user: [pcb] query about "move to other side"

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:24:23 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> When an two-pin element is mirrored to the other side, it would be nice
> if the pins stay in the same spot on the board,

ack.

> 'm' - mirror element under cursor.  2-pins (or N inline pins) are an
> easy guess, but what about DIP packages?  Should packages mirror about
> their centroids (i.e. the pins end up in the same exact spots for
> N-inline), or mirror about the cursor location?

It should _not_ mirror about the cursor position, because this would move
the component somewhere "off grid". This kind of cursor dependend rotate
and mirror behavior already puts me off in gschem. Use the origin of the
footprint, which is pin 1 or the centroid in most cases.

> mirror selection (i.e. multiple elements, traces, etc) - how to guess
> between Y flip and X flip?

Don't guess, but define both actions. Use a modifier key to tell which
flip will be done. Some users will prefer X flips, some will like Y flips
better. No heuristics will get this right in every case. It would make me
feel uneasy if the GUI errs while guessing. Please let the basic actions
be as simple and reliable as possible.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak