Re: gEDA-user: PCB feature

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 14:27:31 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> I was thinking of a collect-things-by-regex where you enter a regex and
> all those elements get selected, pulled to the mouse (but not
> overlapping!), and cut to the buffer.  Then you can place them, as a
> pre-dispersed group, somewhere.

Full ack. I used a similar feature a lot in protel.
Ideally, you could select a group of symbols in gschem and transfer the
list of corresponding refdeses to the select command of pcb. This would
be _really_ useful during initial placement. Most probably neighboring
symbols on the schematic should be close on the pcb too.

Some of the tools needed for this kind of functionality are already there:

* Select-by-name can take a list of refdeses

* There is a pcb command to disperse the selected elements. This is not
quite like pulling the elements to the mouse. But it will put all
elements to the upper right and keep them selected. So you can move them
easily to some other place.

What is missing, is a way to extract a List of refdeses from a selection
in gschem. The list could go to the copy buffer of X-Windows. So you can
do a regular middle mouse paste in the select-by-name dialog. This seems
to me like a small addition with a huge benefit for the work flow,
especially for boards with several hundreds of analog parts.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211