Re: gEDA-user: PCB feature

Hello,

I use gschem occasionally, but I've not done more than start up pcb and
look at the pretty things, so I may be just be making useless noise
here.  Hopefully not.

The tools for arranging/dispersing elements in pcb sound interesting -
it has often occurred to me that a desired simplistic starting point
when laying out a board would be if the pcb elements were to be arranged
roughly the same as the schematic elements.  Chances are (for me), if
two things are near one another on the schematic, then they'll often
want to be near one another on the pcb.

This may not really work out for multi-device packages (eg. a good old
quad nand gate), but for simple discrete circuitry it seems like a good
plan.  Forgive me if I've just wasted your time by wanting things that
already exist!

On an unrelated note, I wondered about rectangular selections in
gschem/pcb - I'm accustomed to using AutoCAD LT, where rectangular
selections work differently depending on whether you start the selection
at the left or at the right:

- left-to-right selects all elements completely contained within the
  selection box (this seems to be the normal gschem behaviour)

- right-to-left selects as above plus anything that crosses the
  selection boundary.

Assuming gschem doesn't already do this, I think it would be a useful
addition.

Thanks for reading - I feel better now that I've gibbered  :-)

Karl.
--
http://mowson.org/karl