Re: gEDA-user: PCB feature

Karl. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use gschem occasionally, but I've not done more than start up pcb and
> look at the pretty things, so I may be just be making useless noise
> here.  Hopefully not.
>

> The tools for arranging/dispersing elements in pcb sound interesting -
> it has often occurred to me that a desired simplistic starting point
> when laying out a board would be if the pcb elements were to be arranged
> roughly the same as the schematic elements.  Chances are (for me), if
> two things are near one another on the schematic, then they'll often
> want to be near one another on the pcb.
>
> This may not really work out for multi-device packages (eg. a good old
> quad nand gate), but for simple discrete circuitry it seems like a good
> plan.  Forgive me if I've just wasted your time by wanting things that
> already exist!

I don't believe that it exists and I do believe it would be useful.  I
hate chasing down the bypass caps when doing an initial placement since
I may have a bunch that in reality are interchangeable but I'd rather
that the chip/circuit->bypass cap relationship on the schematic be
maintained.  I.e. if the schematic has C1 by U2 and C17 by U3 then I
don't want the layout to have C17 by U2 and C1 by U3 even if I end up
with the same final result.

-Dan