Re: gEDA-user: PCB feature

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 07:48:09PM +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 09:04 -0500, John Griessen wrote:
> > Karl. wrote:
> > > - left-to-right selects all elements completely contained within
> > > the selection box (this seems to be the normal gschem behaviour)
> > >
> > > - right-to-left selects as above plus anything that crosses the
> > >   selection boundary.
>
> What do other combinations do...
>
> >From bottom left -> top right?
> >From top right -> bottom left?

As far as I can tell, it is only left-right vs right-left that makes a
difference (I'm using an old version - AutoCAD LT98, but have done a web
search and it appears they've not added any up/down behaviour in newer
versions).

There are some pictures in this tutorial:
http://toi.bk.tudelft.nl/toi-pedia/index.php?title=AutoCAD_introduction#Selecting_objects

> Anyone _against_ this change?

Having researched the AutoCAD behaviour, it appears that some people
*hate* it, apparently on the basis that they feel no distinction between
left-right vs right-left drawing of the bounding box, and therefore feel
that there should be no distinction in the behaviour.

It seems to me that the behaviour is potentially more useful than it is
hindering.  I suspect that most people consistently draw selection boxes
in the same direction without ever being aware of what they're doing, so
they'll get consistent behaviour even if they don't know why.  That
seems to me like a sufficient basis for acceptability, given that the
directional behaviour is very useful for people who are aware of it.

I don't see any obvious use for up-down/down-up distinctions, but I
would still consider allowing for it when coding for left/right
distinctions.

Idle speculation based on whimsical ideas of the sourcecode:  I don't
know how you would want to code the direction, but if it were a 2 char
string, then first char could be 'L' or 'R' for left or right starting
point, and second char could be 'T' or 'B' for top or bottom.  At the
moment, anything looking at the direction of the selection could just
look at the first char.  This is probably pure evil, from the standpoint
of 'only write code now for what you need now'  :-)    I'm sure that it
also fully demonstrates my lack of familiarity with the internals of the
sourcecode.

Karl.
--
http://mowson.org/karl