Re: gEDA-user: C++ (was Re: interesting links)

On 8/30/07, Dave McGuire <mcguire@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>    Be very, very careful with that attitude.  Back in the 1970s, some
> blithering idiot came up with the idea that programmer time is more
> important than processor time.  This has given rise to things like

And this is VERY true.  The problem comes from business, where
customers want their stuff NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW.  As a result, one way
to compete in an industry is to satisfy customers faster.  As a
result, the faster your company delivers software that meets their
needs, the more customers you'll tend to have.

The project I work on at work has *weekly* release cycles, for example.

It's doggone tough to keep up.  But, it seems to be a winning strategy.

> Windows, which takes hundreds of megabytes of RAM and multi-GHz
> processors to do even the very simplest of things.  That moron back
> in the 1970s (whoever it was) should be put up against a wall and shot.

Ahh, now here is where the whole ball of wax is taken completely out
of context.  (By most commercial software vendors, that is.)

See, while programmer time IS more important than CPU time, one must
consider too the load on the services you offer.  If demand for
services increases at a rate faster than you can deploy the services,
then you have _no choice_ but to optimize the code accordingly.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II