Re: gEDA-user: 2-sided footprints?

> Ok. If I interpret this correctly, conversion of the buffer turns
> layout data into a footprint pattern, rather than an instance. IMHO,
> it will become an instance when placed on the layout.

In a layout, if it's on the board, it's an element.  If it's still in
the library or in the buffer (assuming it's in the buffer from the
library), it's a footprint.  If it's in the buffer because you
cut/copied an element, it's still an element, because it has the extra
element-specific data.

Yes, it's semantics.  In a nutshell, "footprint" == template,
"element" == instance (includes name, position, edits, etc).