gEDA-user: 2-sided footprints?

Is it possible to create 2-sided (two sided footprints)?  It doesn't
appear possible with the footprints we have (?) but I thought I'd ask.

The need has come up for me in making 2-sided edge connnectors where the
female connector pinches the board between one contact ... meaning
either/both sides will make the connection.

I know it's possible to have more than one pin with one number because
that's how I've drawn my one-sided edge plugs ... but when I copy the
connector and move the copy to the other side of the board all of the pins
are reverse-numbered, and I have to have two-footprints in my schematic
with messy net lines connecting them.

Is this the best I can do?

It appears possible to make a second footprint for each edge-connector ...
and reverse the pin-numbering.  But still, it's an ugly situation.

What's the best solution?

Phil