Re: gEDA-user: [iverilog] running the git source of Icarus Verilog

Günter Dannoritzer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to install Icarus Verilog from git and wonder whether I did
> something wrong, as when things go wrong it crashes with a segmentation
> fault.
>
> I have to say that I have the latest development snapshot installed in
> parallel in the standard path.

That should be fine.

> So what I did with the git version is that I checked it out to my home
> folder, did the 'source autoconf.sh' and then configured it with the
> --prefix set to a path in my home folder. Then just typed make and make
> install, without any other options.

That should be fine, too.

> The installation went fine and in order to use it I prepended the new
> bin/ folder to my path. Also added the new lib/ and lib/ivl/ folder to
> the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the shell I want to use it.

The LD_LIBRARY_PATH bit is not necessary because the compiler and
run time use explicit loading and not implicit loading to bring in
any loadable modules. I don't think adding the paths to your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH will hurt, but that is certainly not helping you.

> It seems to work with code that runs without error, but when I try other
> examples that cause problems it ends with a segmentation fault.
>
> Did I do something wrong with my installation?
>
> How can I check that it works correct?

It is just as likely that you found a bug that is segfaulting instead
of tripping an assert. That is rare in Icarus Verilog because we're
so liberal with assertions, but it does happen from time to time.

The best thing to do (as I se you have done) is to submit a bug report.
Even assertions deserve a bug report because it should not trip the
assert even with completely random input.

http://www.icarus.com         and lines to code before I sleep,