Re: gEDA-user: gEDA just hit SlashDotOrg

On Aug 1, 2009, at 7:55 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

>> Anyone to stand up and bash the poster of the topic for his
>> judgement?
>
> His judgement is pretty much dead on.  Many people on this list are
> openly hostile to Windows users,

The only hostility I see is to the attitude: "I want a Windows binary
but I don't know how to build one, so you *nix guys should do it for
me for free".

> and we certainly haven't gone through
> the effort to make our software install and run smoothly on Windows.

We're not a programming team implementing what Marketing wants. We're
a bunch of computer-savvy users implementing what we intend to use.
That's our strength. That's why gEDA is different. That's why gEDA is
a sharp toolkit for the computer-savvy.

> What ports we do have are rough around the edges and not as easy to
> use (gui-wise) as 99% of the windows software on the planet.

I wouldn't call Word easy to use. An extremely dull tool. But the
nice thing about free software is that we can clone the dull tool as
OpenOffice while keeping sharp tools like TeX around. I very much
hope that gEDA does not evolve into a dull tool.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx