Re: gEDA-user: gEDA just hit SlashDotOrg

John Doty wrote:
> On Aug 2, 2009, at 7:45 AM, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 06:42:20 -0600, John Doty wrote:

[...]

>>> That's
>>> our strength. That's why gEDA is different. That's why gEDA is a
>>> sharp
>>> toolkit for the computer-savvy.
>> It is remarkably blunt in certain aspects. Aspects, that are very
>> relevant to EDA. Lack of backannotation
>
> Is there any tool that *really* does backannotation well? I used a
> commercial one where the backannotation wasted more time than just
> doing the job by hand. ...

Just to comment on this one subject, Cadsoft Eagle does. Disclaimer: I
am in no way an expert on this as I farm out layouts (except for nasty
RF areas). But when I tried back annotation on Eagle it did work nicely.
You have to have both schematic and layout loaded at the same time
though and you must use the "Board/Schematic" button to switch between
the two.

The only gripe I have with Eagle is that it doesn't offer a hierarchy.
That's a huge deficiency.

It has been too long ago that I used OrCad but when using their layout
SW it did backanno nicely, AFAIR. It could also take in cross refdes
lists and do it for layouts performed on other systems. But: OrCad
crashed on me too often for my taste and IIRC the layout package of the
program has been discontinued. Still, OrCad is being used by the
majority of my clients.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/