Re: gEDA-user: feature propriety. was Re: gEDA just hit SlashDotOrg

John Doty wrote:
> On Aug 12, 2009, at 1:27 PM, Jason wrote:
>
>> John Doty wrote:
>> [huge snip]
>>> I have no objection to wrappers. What I object to is the constant
>>> demand to fix perceived problems by violating the fairly clean,
>>> modular nature of the kit. Rather, we need to make things *more*
>>> modular (e.g. get the hardwired behavior out of the gnetlist front
>>> end).
>>>
>> Would having a footprint browser popup in gschem when the user
>> tries to
>> add a footprint attribute violate the modular nature of the kit?
>
> Unless you can provide an interface that would make this work with
> all of the ~10 PCB layout programs gEDA can currently operate with,
> and a reasonably easy path to make it work in the future with others,
> I would say that violates modularity.

A footprint search path (eg. pcb's) and regex search of filenames would
be all that was needed.

>> As an experience linux user, I appreciate the command-line power of
>> gaf.
>>   As a new gEDA user trying to get it done quickly, switching from the
>> gschem gui to the cli grepping around got old.
>>
>> I like the fact that there is a dropdown of common attribute names
>> (right-click a symbol, edit), and that you can type in your own if you
>> like.  Doing something similar in the Value box seems reasonable.  Or,
>> perhaps a "browse footprints" button below the Value box (only visible
>> when attribute is footprint).
>
> Which tool's footprints do you wish to browse through?

See above.

>> On another note, how much resistance would there be to using regex
>> (libpcre is already in there) when searching of footprint names?  This
>> would be in both pcb,
>
> Remember, pcb is not part of gEDA, and is only one of many possible
> layout programs gEDA can use.

oops.  Does my first reply, above, fit the flexibility model?  Is it
industry practice to store one footprint per file with a descriptive name?

>> and the hypothetical gschem footprint browser.
>
> Regex are good.

especially with ketchup.

thx,

Jason.