Re: gEDA-user: feature propriety. was Re: gEDA just hit SlashDotOrg

DJ Delorie wrote:
>> Would having a footprint browser popup in gschem when the user tries
>> to add a footprint attribute violate the modular nature of the kit?
>
> If gschem were designed to allow for other types of attribute
> browsers, that would be fine.  I think a spice model browser would be
> very welcome.  Me, I have other ideas - I'd rather see something like
> gattrib sit between gschem and pcb, and manage the heavification, so
> that gschem doesn't need to know about footprints at all.

I like that, I haven't used gattrib, yet.  I'll look at it.

>>   As a new gEDA user trying to get it done quickly, switching from
>> the gschem gui to the cli grepping around got old.
>
> Run PCB and use it to look up footprints.

Should I run gimp to look at the png's with each footprint?  ;-)

>> I like the fact that there is a dropdown of common attribute names
>> (right-click a symbol, edit), and that you can type in your own if you
>> like.  Doing something similar in the Value box seems reasonable.  Or,
>> perhaps a "browse footprints" button below the Value box (only visible
>> when attribute is footprint).
>
> Dan was working on a "modes" system for gschem, so you could tell it
> to be in "pcb mode" and you got everything customized for that.  In
> "spice mode" it wouldn't ask for footprints, in "pcb mode" you could
> swap gates, etc.

Interesting, would this be specified at launch, or toggleable?

>> On another note, how much resistance would there be to using regex
>> (libpcre is already in there) when searching of footprint names?  This
>> would be in both pcb, and the hypothetical gschem footprint browser.
>
> PCB already uses regex for other things, I think if pcb's footprint
> dialog were as gui-full as gschem's, a regex search would make a lot
> of sense there.

John just reminded me that pcb isn't a part of geda, sorry for the
confusion.  I'll take a look at gattrib before I let my
gschem-regex-attr search idea run away from me...

thx,

Jason.