Re: gEDA-user: feature propriety. was Re: gEDA just hit SlashDotOrg

> Would having a footprint browser popup in gschem when the user tries
> to add a footprint attribute violate the modular nature of the kit?

If gschem were designed to allow for other types of attribute
browsers, that would be fine.  I think a spice model browser would be
very welcome.  Me, I have other ideas - I'd rather see something like
gattrib sit between gschem and pcb, and manage the heavification, so
that gschem doesn't need to know about footprints at all.

>   As a new gEDA user trying to get it done quickly, switching from
> the gschem gui to the cli grepping around got old.

Run PCB and use it to look up footprints.

> I like the fact that there is a dropdown of common attribute names
> (right-click a symbol, edit), and that you can type in your own if you
> like.  Doing something similar in the Value box seems reasonable.  Or,
> perhaps a "browse footprints" button below the Value box (only visible
> when attribute is footprint).

Dan was working on a "modes" system for gschem, so you could tell it
to be in "pcb mode" and you got everything customized for that.  In
"spice mode" it wouldn't ask for footprints, in "pcb mode" you could
swap gates, etc.

> On another note, how much resistance would there be to using regex
> (libpcre is already in there) when searching of footprint names?  This
> would be in both pcb, and the hypothetical gschem footprint browser.

PCB already uses regex for other things, I think if pcb's footprint
dialog were as gui-full as gschem's, a regex search would make a lot
of sense there.