Re: gEDA-user: feature propriety. was Re: gEDA just hit SlashDotOrg

> Hmm, a simple database format, gafrc tells which ones databases to
> browse for what attribute...

I've suggested that before.  Some API that lets gschem say "I have
these attributes set to these values, what are my options for this
other attribute?" and let various plug-ins provide the data from
whatever sources (footprints from psql, spice models from a text file,
whatever).

Getting an *image* to go along with those values might be trickier ;-)

> Yes, but gattrib is for quick touch-ups. It doesn't scale well to the
> "change all of the  bypass cap footprints" case.

Elsewhere I"ve discussed my "grand scheme" for heavification, but it
involves a database of defaults and variants, and a script to merge
them all.  So you could have a rule that says "by default, caps are
0603dj.fp 10v from Kemet" and any part that's ambiguous enough to
allow that, gets that.  If you ask for a 47u 16v cap, it's not going
to default to 0603 because nothing in the parts database offers that
combination.

Something like gattrib would show you which attributes were defaulted,
let you edit the rules that led to those defaults, as well as
overriding them on a part-by-part basis or providing additional
details to help narrow down the choices.