Re: gEDA-user: feature propriety. was Re: gEDA just hit SlashDotOrg

On Aug 12, 2009, at 1:36 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

>> Would having a footprint browser popup in gschem when the user tries
>> to add a footprint attribute violate the modular nature of the kit?
>
> If gschem were designed to allow for other types of attribute
> browsers, that would be fine.

Hmm, a simple database format, gafrc tells which ones databases to
browse for what attribute...

Not a bad idea.

>   I think a spice model browser would be
> very welcome.  Me, I have other ideas - I'd rather see something like
> gattrib sit between gschem and pcb, and manage the heavification, so
> that gschem doesn't need to know about footprints at all.

Yes, but gattrib is for quick touch-ups. It doesn't scale well to the
"change all of the  bypass cap footprints" case.

I am in sympathy with removing the necessity of knowledge of
footprints from gschem. I'd even like to remove the necessity of
knowledge of component values from gschem, allow "pure" reusable
schematics representing only topology, with values, part numbers,
etc. driven by an input BOM. If gnetlist was more flexible...

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx