Re: gEDA-user: feature propriety. was Re: gEDA just hit SlashDotOrg

On Aug 12, 2009, at 1:57 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

>> Hmm, a simple database format, gafrc tells which ones databases to
>> browse for what attribute...
>
> I've suggested that before.  Some API that lets gschem say "I have
> these attributes set to these values, what are my options for this
> other attribute?" and let various plug-ins provide the data from
> whatever sources (footprints from psql, spice models from a text file,
> whatever).

A rule-based thing sounds tricky. I think most would be happy with a
simple list.

A footprint list that embodies the gEDA recommendations at:

http://www.geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:scg#footprint_naming_conventions

would be handy. I often use that when I don't know what the layout
tool's library contains, and have heard no complaints.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx