Re: gEDA-user: Would like to use geda tools to make .dxf file for pcb cnc milling.

Hi Dave,

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 13:29 -0400, dfro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Bert,
>
> I am very excited that you are working on a dxf exporter for pcb! In my
> opinion, this will open a very large area of pcb fabrication to
> do-it-yourself people. I am sure it will draw thousands of cnc people to
> the geda tools, also. When it is working, I know everyone at cnczone.com
> would like to hear about this. Also, let Phil at pminmo.com know. I am
> sure he would gladly add/feature it on his
> pminmo.com/millingpcbs/milledpcb.htm page.

Thousands of users ... that would be something.

I better hurry up then :-) and put some effort to it again

>  > I have made a start for a dxf exporter HID at:
>  >
>  > http://github.com/bert/pcb-dxf-hid/tree/master
>  >
>  > but somethings have come in between.
>  >
>  > If you would like to take development further do not hesitate to clone
>  > and/or send patches, you are welcome :)
>  >
>  > If you are willing to open an account on github, you and I can even
>  > share pull requests very easy by means of the github "fork queue" (a
>  > web-based tool monitoring forked of repo's).
>
> My programming experience extends to assembly language for avr and pic
> microchips, and some basic html, so currently I can't jump in and help
> with the coding. Also, a question, which will betray my ignorance: what
> does 'HID' mean? Human Interface Device?

Yes, I think so, DJ Delorie choose it, don't know if it's suiting.

I'm not a computer science or electronics engineer myself either.

>  >
>  > Generating a cnc file (g-codes/m-codes) without dxf would be faster in
>  > any case and less error prone, why not code a cnc exporter ?
>  >
>  > Or does one need an intermediate format like dxf which describes the
>  > positive shapes, and not the inverted (copper to remove) shapes and
>  > traces.
>  >
>  > Maybe inverted Gerbers are a better starting point.
>  >

> I think generating the dxf file would be better than generating g-code.
> That way people can decide on how they will machine the pcb traces in
> their own 2.5 axis cam software. They can put tool changes where they
> need them, they can program tool offset, decide depth of cut, decide
> what is 'island' and what is 'ocean', and any number of other functions
> - all in the cam software. Then the cam software will generate the
> g-code, which is specific to each person's machine and their preferred
> machining process.
>
> Granted, these comments are based on my current understanding of the
> cad-cam-nc software toolchain. I do not have a machine working yet, but
> I have wired up a controller box and have x, y, and z steppers moving
> using emc2 software. I am half way done building a cnc lathe and I am
> modeling my cnc mill design in Rhino 3D.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

FWIW, I want to do a DIY cnc router for pcb and front panels someday ...

My goal with the pcb-dxf-hid was/is to achieve some sort of 3D model in
FOSS software that can read/parse DXF and do 3D presentation/modeling
(Blender and brl-cad comes to mind).

Anyways, I have ample spare time to do serious coding on this one, maybe
things will change after this summer, who knows ?

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.