Re: gEDA-user: Yet another netlister

On Aug 13, 2009, at 6:15 PM, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 17:43:07 -0600, John Doty wrote:
>
>>> You mean, the behavior of a netlister should depend on the order of
>>> components in the *.sch file?  Please give an example if you
>>> seriously
>>> think so.
>>
>> No. The order isn't the issue.
>
> Yes, it is. Currently gnetlist behaves differently on multi symbol
> components depending on order in the *.sch file. This is the bug my
> patch
> fixes by ordering the internal representation of the netlist.

Merely a *symptom*. Not the actual disease.

>> The issue is that the front end should
>> not arbitrarily restrict which attributes the back end gets to see.
>
> Ensuring a non-ambiguous internal order of components does not hide
> any
> attributes. Please stop implying, that it does.

You are changing one arbitrary attribute selection procedure into
another. It isn't that you're hiding anything: it's the API that
hides them. We need to fix that API. Changing what goes on behind it
fixes only your symptom.

>> But remember that neither you nor I can anticipate what information a
>> future back end might need. Don't focus narrowly on specific
>> scenarios.
>
> Again: Do you seriously believe that a decent backend should care
> about
> the order the user has entered symbols in gschem? If so, please
> give an
> example case.

No it should not. But the problem isn't the *order*. The problem is
that which attribute to give the back end is *arbitrary*. It should
not be.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx