Re: gEDA-user: Yet another netlister

On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 17:43:07 -0600, John Doty wrote:

>> You mean, the behavior of a netlister should depend on the order of
>> components in the *.sch file?  Please give an example if you seriously
>> think so.
>
> No. The order isn't the issue.

Yes, it is. Currently gnetlist behaves differently on multi symbol
components depending on order in the *.sch file. This is the bug my patch
fixes by ordering the internal representation of the netlist.

> The issue is that the front end should
> not arbitrarily restrict which attributes the back end gets to see.

Ensuring a non-ambiguous internal order of components does not hide any
attributes. Please stop implying, that it does.

> But remember that neither you nor I can anticipate what information a
> future back end might need. Don't focus narrowly on specific scenarios.

Again: Do you seriously believe that a decent backend should care about
the order the user has entered symbols in gschem? If so, please give an
example case.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak