Re: gEDA-user: Commercial CAD, land pattern generators report

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 11:21 -0700, Dave N6NZ wrote:

> I've been watching FOSS 3D CAD for a while, and until FreeCAD came along the outlook was pretty depressing.  The FreeCAD guys, however, are making progress a bullet-train speed.  My first instinct would be to find a way to help them.
>
> -dave

Why not using IDES/STEP file format. I've seen it's pretty popular in
the Aerospace/Mechanics 3D models interchange. And IMO STEP is the most
successfully supported format in FOSS so far.

Apps:

brlcad
freecad
heekscad
salome(not that free, but claims to be Open source)
and any toolchain based on Open Cascade
there's also python Open Cascade(pyOCC) python bindings.

According to my Aerspace related partners, DXF has almost nothing to
apport to 3D CAD.

Best Regards, Felipe.

Felipe De la Puente Christen
Mobile Phone    : +56 9 93199807