Re: gEDA-user: Commercial CAD, land pattern generators report

Felipe De la Puente Christen wrote:

> Why not using IDES/STEP file format.

Because STEP is a hell of a standard and non-free, too. It encompasses much
more than 3D mechanical data and aims to cover every aspect of every
product. The standard itself is closed source. You have to pay real money
and sign a NDA document to receive a copy.

I once tried figure, how a cube as a 3D equivalent to "hello-world" would
look like in STEP format. There was lots and lots information available _on_
STEP but none on the actual syntax.

Going the freecad way would avoid this kind of hassle.

> According to my Aerspace related partners, DXF has almost nothing to
> apport to 3D CAD.

true.

---<)kaimrtin(>---
--