Re: gEDA-user: 3d package to land pattern generator

Dave N6NZ wrote:
On Aug 13, 2010, at 12:51 PM, Felipe De la Puente Christen wrote:
According to my Aerspace related partners, DXF has almost nothing to apport to 3D CAD.

Yes, well, I can't imagine using dxf for any serious 3D work.  But it does have 3D entities in the file format.  My earlier
comments w.r.t. a dxf i/o library reflect both of those statements. :)

The thing about DXF is that it has become a defacto standard that is important to the EDA and CAD industry
so there is value in using the large herds of manufacturer package data that are going
to be coming out in that format defining component part packages.

It does not matter how lame it is for 3D expressiveness, all that is needed is a spartan wire frame
outline of a part to get a very accurate footprint via automatic means.  Automatic means is the only
hope for open source community use, since volunteer effort is such a slim and none chance to come by.
It's something automate-able or nothing.

I'll be working on creating some extra "rent paid up" time to help Dave automate DXF-to-footprint data.

John Griessen