gEDA-user: Free software and the GPL

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 12:05:39 +0200, Armin Faltl <armin.faltl@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Some code I wrote comprises a competitive advantage as I see it
> and it's partly based other code I shared and on code like
> gnu libc via linking. Maybe as long as I don't sell my non-free
> code but just use it in house to compute results GPL doesn't bite,
> but I don't want to be restricted in that way either.
>
> The have your cake and eat it applies to my time too:
> you can't convince me to share what I have now and
> force me to give away what I may need to live from tomorrow.

Um, sorry?  Are you trying to argue that people who develop libraries and
release them under the GPL are trying to "have their cake and eat it"?  I
don't see it -- I think you need to explain further.

I don't recall anyone holding a gun to your head and forcing you to use GPL
libraries.  If you don't intend to comply with the license, don't use the
code.  You have the choice.  Are you trying to persuade me that *I*
shouldn't release *my* code under the GPL?  If so, your arguments are
really not having the desired effect.  Care to try again?

Peter

--
Peter Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Remote Sensing Research Group