Re: gEDA-user: pcb: experience with import-schematics

On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 00:35 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > More generally: What config files does import schematics look at?
>
> Importing uses pcb's internal paths, not gafrc.  Gnetlist simply
> passes the list of elements to pcb and lets pcb load them.
>
> You can point pcb's m4 library at a non-existing directory, I suppose.
>
> Look at make_footprint_hash() in src/buffer.c
>
> Maybe we need to read the menus in reverse order?  I'm not sure we
> ever had a rule about what the priorities were if two libraries had
> the same element, as from within pcb you always specified the library
> too.

I always have my own symbols and footprints, some with the same name as
files shipped with gEDA/PCB. And I think a few of John Luciani's
footprints have the same name as files shipped with PCB.

For me these configuration files solved this problem (for gsch2pcb),
giving John's files higher priority than PCB's own files, and my local
files even higher priority:

stefan@AMD64X2 ~ $ cat /mnt/data/stefan/gEDA/DAD/gafrc
(debug-options (list 'stack 200000))
(component-library "../imported-symbols/")
(component-library "../gedasymbols.org_salewski_symbols/")
(component-library "../custom-symbols/")
;(component-library "local-symbols/")

stefan@AMD64X2 ~ $ cat /mnt/data/stefan/gEDA/DAD/p1
schematics FPGA_Power.sch FPGA_B0B1.sch FPGA_B2B3.sch RAM.sch ADC.sch TDC.sch Digital_In_A.sch Digital_In_B.sch Digital_In_C.sch InputDividerCh1.sch InputDividerCh2.sch AmplifierCh1.sch AmplifierCh2.sch Controller.sch PowerManager.sch DC_DC_Converter.sch Lin_Regulators.sch Misc.sch AmpCommon.sch
output-name b1
skip-m4
elements-dir /usr/local/share/pcb-symbols-jcl_2008-4-25
elements-dir ../imported-footprints
elements-dir ../gedasymbols.org_salewski_footprints
elements-dir ../custom-footprints
#elements-dir local-footprints