Re: gEDA-user: wishful UI

On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 12:36 -0400, Rick Collins wrote:
> And what will these subnets translate into in a layout tool?  How
> would that translation be handled in the net list?  A net is a net in
> my designs.  If I have a "subnet" that I want handled differently
> from the rest of the net, that is not something that is added to a
> schematic because it is not related to the schematic.  It is a layout
> issue and I address it in layout.

This is old workflow. You can go on using it, our indented changes will
allow it still, of course. It is fine for small boards, for low speed
design, for layouters who love to work hard and carefully...

For my 1000 parts DSO board I was not really happy with this strategy.
And I can not imagine that commercial EDA tools do not support the
layouter in a similar way as we now consider.

> How would you make use of "subnets" that would be useful that you
> can't do with just nets?

Maybe you missed some postings, and maybe my proposal:
http://ssalewski.de/gEDA-Netclass.html.en