Re: gEDA-user: pcb: experience with import-schematics

DJ Delorie wrote:

>> More generally: What config files does import schematics look at?
> Importing uses pcb's internal paths, not gafrc.

This adds to the confusion. Both methods to transfer the the schematic
information to pcb should come up with the same set of footprints with no
subtleties in different config files involved. I see nasty errors creeping
up, even for experienced users.

From a user point of view I don't care which of the two applications is the
master of the footprint path. But there definitely should be just one unique
config for gnetlist and pcb import.

If the pcb internal path variable is the way to go, it should be possible to
set it differently for different projects. Maybe as a global attribute
attached to the pcb? If pcb is the master of the footprint paths gnetlist
should read the pcb setting. That is, first read the library-path attribute
from the target layout, then the setting in $HOME/pcb/preferences, then the
project file and only then fall back to whatever the gafrc says.

BTW, it would be nice to if the similar issue of default settings of a newly
created layout file would also be resolved.

> You can point pcb's m4 library at a non-existing directory, I suppose.

Unfortunately, if the m4 library can't be disabled, or at least be
considered as lowest priority, the import feature is no much use for me.
I'd suggest a m4 enable switch in the library

> Look at make_footprint_hash() in src/buffer.c
>
> Maybe we need to read the menus in reverse order?
                            ^^^^^
                            paths?
I'd say, the last path should receive highest priority. This is how the PATH
environment variable of the shell is parsed.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Ãffentlicher PGP-SchlÃssel: