Re: gEDA-user: personal component library frustration-HELP/suggestions please?

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 22:02:07 +0200
Kai-Martin Knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> /-------------- YOUR-PROJECT.g2p -------------------
> schematics YOUR-PROJECT.sch
> output-name YOUR-PROJECT
> elements-dir
> FULL-PATH-TO-THE-DIR-BELOW-THE_DIRS-THAT-CONTAIN-YOUR-FOOTPRINTS
> \--------------------------------------------------- I always add the
> options "skip-m4" and "use-files" because I don't want any of the M4
> generated footprints, ever. But this may be due to personal prejudice.

I can't see any reason NOT to use the skip-m4 option.  Every footprint
in the default pcb library is available as a newlib-format footprint,
right?

Advantages of using skip-m4:

+ Avoids that nasty bug that occurs when a footprint name contains a
  hyphen character ("-").

Disadvantages of using skip-m4:

- Can't use your own custom m4 footprints directly?

Regards,
Colin