Re: gEDA-user: Foss-pcb Proposed plan from CERN

On Mon, 2011-08-22 at 18:29 +0200, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> I subscribed to the mailing list, too. And so did Larry Doolittle, who already
> wrote to the list. :-)
>
> The response by Javier Serrano was interesting:
> (  http://lists.ohwr.org/sympa/arc/foss-pcb/2011-08/msg00003.html )
> The commercial package he wants to keep up with seems to be altium designer.
> I used  protel99 (the predecessor of altium designer) from 2000 to 2005. And I
> must say, that I too missed most of the features Javier asks for, since I
> started with geda.

I think many of the issues he raises can be addressed if there is a
serious motivation to do it.

Even conversion of old legacy Altium designs could be done given access
to known sample files and developer time (e.g. money). I was working on
a funded project to reverse engineer those file-format at while back,
and the only reason it has stalled so far is a lack of my time. The
formats aren't so bad to understand once you've had some luck figuring
out the binary compression scheme.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,