Re: gEDA-user: gschem crash on object drag

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 23:22 +0530, Abhijit Kshirsagar wrote:
> Thanks. I will try with the newer version.
>    As of now I think the problem lies in one of the custom components I'm
>    using - but that should still not cause a segfault right?`

No - it should not.

If you can still reproduce it in a newer gEDA version (or can find
instructions to reproduce it reliably at your end with a minimal
test-case), perhaps you could send us a copy of component causing the
problem and we can investigate the problem further.

>    Also,  I'd have liked some inputs on how to debug the problem. Is
>    there some way of enabling "debug" logging or something?

Not that I recall. Running under "gdb"

gdb --args pcb path_to_your_pcb_file.pcb

then getting a backtrace with the "bt"<ENTER> command when it crashes
might be useful.

Running under "valgrind"

valgrind pcb path_to_your_pcb_file.pcb

Would be very slow, but is excellent at nailing the root cause of memory
corruption problems which lead to crashes.

Again - checking if you can reproduce the issue under a later gschem
version is probably the most efficient way to proceed.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,