Re: gEDA-user: New gtk menu system

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 06:51:10PM +0200, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> Forget about my last message on the X-windows error. (*) I just rebooted and
> pcb runs fine now. Must have been some funky mix of recent updates in the
> X-windows libs on my system.

Oh, thank goodness!

> The new layer selector is beautiful!
> I like the way the suares indicate laxyer visibility. The fact
>
> Some glitches:
> I don't see any visual feedback which item the mouse cursor currently refers to.
> Gnome user expectation seems to be, that the item should be highlighted with
> background changing to focus color. Much the same way that the items in a menu
> highlight on mouse-over. Currently, I get focus color only after I clicked a
> layer.

Hmm. This is the default behavior of the treeview widget, and Gtk
deliberately makes style decisions very hard to override, since
people all have different themes and it's best to let them choose.

One close thing I could do is set the "hover-selection" property,
which would actually select the item the mouse is on. This would
be a nightmare, I imagine, for people who bat their mice haphazardly
to the left to get their cursor out of the way.

Another, more sensible thing I can do is to change the rendering
of the color swatch when the mouse is on the row. Can you think
of a good "highlighted" cue that only affects the swatch?

> Layers can be selected  with middle mouse button, too. Is this deliberate?
> The old layer chooser did not respond to middle mouse button click at all.
> IMHO, middle mouse should stay reserved for some funky functions yet to be
> designed (e.g. make the layer temporarily visible while the button is pressed)

Ditto -- this is the default behavior of the treeview. I'm catching
mouse clicks anyway so that visibility works without selecting each
row, so it wouldn't be hard to throw away non-left-clicks.

I think I'll do this - right-clicking also selects the row, which
will probably irritate people expecting a popup menu. Best to make
selection a left-click-only action.

--
Andrew Poelstra
Email: asp11 at sfu.ca OR apoelstra at wpsoftware.net