gEDA-user: Mirrored headers: how do I define the footprints ?

I am laying out a board that connects to another board via 2 50 pin
headers. (2 rows x 25 pins each on 0.100" spacings).  I've got a ccouple
questions....

Question 1:

The first header is "normal", ie pin 1 is in the upper left corner of
the header layout.  No problems there.

The second header is "mirrored", ie pin 1 is in the upper right corner
of the header layout.  It is like this because the board developer
originally intended for one board to be attached to each header and
header 2 was supposed to be used on the underside of the board.  Thus,
from the underside of the board pin 1 is in the traditional upper left
location, but on the topside it is in the mirrored location.

On the board that I purchased, both headers are soldered to the upper
side.

I am attaching my board from the upper side only, thus the second
headers has an unconventional pinout.  How do I define a footprint with
a "mirrored" pinout (without renumbering the pinout) ?  Or will
renumbering the pinout be the easiest way ?

I'd like not to renumber the pinout for 2 reasons:

a) the schematic for the purchased board uses the underside pin
numbers.

b) someday I might build a board that uses only the second header and
mounts underneath the purchased board.

Question 2:

I am using the 50 pin connectors as templates for my new connectors.  (I
am going to modify the pin names, etc. because I will be making a number
of boards to attach to these headers.)

Specifically, I am using header50-3.sym.  I've noticed that this and
other 50 pin headers do not have a defined footprint in the symbol.  Why
is this ?  Does the user define the footprint when it is used in the
schematic to make it more versatile ?  Am I missing something ?

Thanks !

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.