Was: gEDA-user: New testing version of gEDA Suite CD available, Now: Qemu

In the FWIW department: I am windows centric, only keeping a Linux box around to run gschem and pcb. I wanted a way around this, to get rid of that physical linux box. Yes I know PCB will install nicely, the Xaw version under cygwin, performed this task several times. However, gschem's mingw port is years old and gnetlist is absolutely broken in that port. So at this point it makes sense to have a linux box around with gschem and pcb on it.

I've been playing around with qemu to run linux on my windows box. With the accelerator it works fine, is very useable on a P2.4GHz machine. I installed both Mandrake 10.2 and FC4. I attempted to run the installer on both distros under qemu. On both the installer gets to the point of requiring root login to install the libraries. I enter the root password and then the installer works for a minute or so and then returns to the command line w/o installing the libraries. So went the manual install route, Mandrake 10.2 put me in rpm hell with guile so I went back to FC4 and the manual install went flawlessly. FYI, Mandrake runs much faster on qemu than FC4 but I wasn't able to resolve the rpm conflicts so back to FC4. Again, FC4 is passable on the P2.4G machine.

Qemu is nice because I can at will back up my OS simply by backing up the image file. No fuss, no muss. And easily switch distros if I want simply by swapping in an image file.

From: David Hart <dhart155@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: geda-user@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: gEDA-user: New testing version of gEDA Suite CD available
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 23:28:07 -0600

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 23:36 -0500, Charles Lepple wrote:
> On 12/5/05, David Hart <dhart155@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm having issues with LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting on Fedora Core 4. From
> > hints at fedoraforum.org I think I've figured it out, but it will take a
> > while to confirm. The short of it is:
> > 1) Updating PATH is done in user's .bash_profile file.
> > 2) Updating LD_LIBRARY_PATH is done in user's .bashrc
> > 3) Need to update /etc/ld.so.conf with LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> > 4) Need to run /sbin/ldconfig after adding anything to above.
>
> Usually, it boils down to one of two scenarios:
>
> 1) set and export LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include your gEDA library
>
> 2) add the path to /etc/ld.so.conf and run /sbin/ldconfig
>
> If you do one of these steps, you shouldn't have to do the other.
>
> ldconfig does create some extra symbolic links, but for gEDA, those
> should be created at 'make install' time.
>
> Things may change, though, if prelinking or maybe even selinux are involved.
>
> Also, $PATH isn't linked to either one of these, but some shells (csh,
> tcsh) have an internal list of commands and their locations, and you
> have to type 'rehash' if you get 'command not found' on something that
> you just installed.
>
> --
> - Charles Lepple

Charles,

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't gotten around to modifying the
gEDA code yet, so have not had to build against the libraries. I wasn't
sure just how far I would need to go. There was a thread on FedoraForums
about LD_LIBRARY_PATH being broken (you could set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
in .bash_profile in FC3, but not in FC4), and I just followed their
recommendations (they seemed to know what they were talking about, and
when I checked the man files all seemed to be reasonable). Anyway, what
can it hurt to implement the 4 steps I laid out, I can always find out
that I screwed up and undo it :)

Dave Hart...