Re: gEDA-user: New testing version of gEDA Suite CD available

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 23:36 -0500, Charles Lepple wrote:
> On 12/5/05, David Hart <dhart155@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm having issues with LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting on Fedora Core 4. From
> > hints at fedoraforum.org I think I've figured it out, but it will take a
> > while to confirm. The short of it is:
> >   1) Updating PATH is done in user's .bash_profile file.
> >   2) Updating LD_LIBRARY_PATH is done in user's .bashrc
> >   3) Need to update /etc/ld.so.conf with LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> >   4) Need to run /sbin/ldconfig after adding anything to above.
>
> Usually, it boils down to one of two scenarios:
>
> 1) set and export LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include your gEDA library
>
> 2) add the path to /etc/ld.so.conf and run /sbin/ldconfig
>
> If you do one of these steps, you shouldn't have to do the other.
>
> ldconfig does create some extra symbolic links, but for gEDA, those
> should be created at 'make install' time.
>
> Things may change, though, if prelinking or maybe even selinux are involved.
>
> Also, $PATH isn't linked to either one of these, but some shells (csh,
> tcsh) have an internal list of commands and their locations, and you
> have to type 'rehash' if you get 'command not found' on something that
> you just installed.
>
> --
> - Charles Lepple

Charles,

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't gotten around to modifying the
gEDA code yet, so have not had to build against the libraries. I wasn't
sure just how far I would need to go. There was a thread on FedoraForums
about LD_LIBRARY_PATH being broken (you could set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
in .bash_profile in FC3, but not in FC4), and I just followed their
recommendations (they seemed to know what they were talking about, and
when I checked the man files all seemed to be reasonable). Anyway, what
can it hurt to implement the 4 steps I laid out, I can always find out
that I screwed up and undo it :)

Dave Hart...