Re: gEDA-user: New testing version of gEDA Suite CD available

> David --
>
> > Sorry, the URL is http://www.offramp.com/FC4_Lab-Install, and I
> still
> > need a little time before the gEDA instructions get integrated into
> the
> > wiki. Quite a bit of restructuring will be necessary in the next two
> > weeks as I add some new content. This thing is getting big.
>
> I looked at your wiki, and I was very impressed and gratified to see
> how much detail you have provided regarding gEDA installation!  Great
> work!
>
> It looks like you are teaching a university class.  Would you care to
> let us know where you teach?  I am glad to see gEDA getting some
> traction in universities!
>
> Finally, I went ahead and placed a pointer from the gEDA to your
> pages.  I think they are a valuable contribution to the gEDA project,
> and deserve to be linked in so they can be used!  Thanks!
>
> Stuart

Stuart,

There is more to come. I did the same level of documentation for Fedora
Core 3, and I am just now getting to migrate the "interesting" parts to
the Fedora Core 4 wiki. Some of the translation from FC3 to FC4 was a
little poorly done, so I will be cleaning it up in the next week.

The instructions under Fedora Core 3 were "messy" for the gEDA Tools,
and I want to thank you for the work you did on the new CD. It appears
that I will not have as much writing to do for Fedora Core 4, and I will
be able to add more meat to this version.

I would have answered your e-mail sooner, but I was in front of the
fireplace, relaxing to its pleasant warmth, reading your "Circuit Design
on Your Linux Box Using gEDA" article in the latest copy of Linux
Journal. Very well done. They gave you all of 5 pages for this article.
Wow!!! I suspect the gEDA project will now get a little more attention,
and this list will start to see more posters.

As for "Do I teach?". Well, yes and no. I'm a contract engineer, working
with a diverse group of entrepreneurs that want to develop some projects
(some commercial, some not). The one issue we all have in common is the
desire to use Open Source tools, and Linux. Most of us are Linux
newbies, so I write these instructions to lead those new to Linux
through the experience of setting up their own project computers (after
all, they are responsible for maintaining it after they install
everything). It culminates with instructions for installing various
tools used to develop the projects, plus some tutorials on how to use
the tools. Having computers built to a common set of instructions has
significantly improved the rate at which new members become familiar
with Linux.

The goal is to finish the Fedora Core 4 instructions before the end of
the year, so that I can get a head start on the Fedora Core 5 Test 2
installation instructions.