Re: gEDA-user: strange build failure

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 15:27, Mike Hansen wrote:
> A live CD version of gEDA would also be a welcomed addition.
>  Something like Knoppix with gEDA installed.  That would be
> as painless as it gets.  Forgive my stupidity if this already
> exists.

Quantian Linux.
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html

It is not EDA specific,
<quote>
A Knoppix / Debian variant tailored to numerical and
quantitative analysis.
<end quote>

It is too big for a CD.  You need a DVD.  It has other numeric
stuff too.  It is not up to date.

Before that, there was "Boreas Linux" .  I have used Boreas in
teaching, with mixed results.  Quantian is more recent, and
more complete.

A couple of years ago, I started to make one, but stopped when I
found Boreas.  It is not hard to do.  This was when I found out
about the real impact of the NGspice licensing problems, which
brings up a serious lesson we all need to learn.  I think the
NGspice developers still don't understand what the real problem
was.

It is not hard to do.  Making one is a good opportunity for
someone coming in to make a contribution.  There are detailed
instructions for doing it on the knoppix web site.  Where there
are Debian packages, it is really easy.  Where there are not,
is more work but still doable.  Be careful of licensing.  If a
package is not in Debian, find out why before including it.