Re: gEDA-user: strange build failure

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 15:01, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> I think RedHat has already cornered that market!

only for IT like stuff, not EDA.

I can see sort of a cooperative business model, where companies
would buy in and fund it in exchange for prioritizing what they
need.

Years ago, all of the big electronics companies that were
innovators had their own internal CAD groups.  Some still do.
Some that let their CAD groups go are regretting it.  They are
finding out that having their own was a significant competitive
advantage.  Now they are finding that putting a significant
portion of their "intellectual property" in the hands of the
likes of Mentor, Synopsys, and Cadence might not be such a good
idea.

Going to a conference like ICCAD, it is interesting to hear the
opinions of "open-source".  Of course, the big CAD companies
say it is not an issue.  Others say in 5 years it will be all
open-source.

I see a business opportunity in providing "corporate cad"
services to small companies, based on free tools, with the
money paying for development of those free tools.

It is interesting to hear the reaction to this from the existing
companies.  The big EDA companies (except Mentor) do not see it
as a threat to their business.  The small consulting companies
do not see it as threat either, they see potential
partnerships.

The only ones that see it as a threat are the ones the seem to
have some get-rich-quick scheme.  They have some kind of
invention and a patent or two and hope to be acquired by one of
the big guys.  They are furious about it, even though their
product is often built as a proprietary extension to some BSD
licensed program.

Another business opportunity is to sell CAD systems, ready to
go, complete with the hardware.  Each one is custom.
Considering all of the parts that are available, it seems easy
to do.  There are already lots of businesses that do this for
IT applications.