gEDA-user: gerber to .dxf converter

Is there any free (as in speech) software that will convert gerber to .dxf?

Reason: I have access to a laser cutter through the TechShop and am trying to work out a path to cut el-cheapo solder paste screens in acetate sheet or similar material. I tried the path of creating a PostScript check plot and running the .ps through pstoedit, which looks promising, although I haven't tried to cut the resulting file yet. But... seems like a direct path from the gerber would be better instead of relying on the check plot and the inherent precision limitations of PostScript. Or perhaps I underestimate the check plots?

-dave