Re: gEDA-user: gerber to .dxf converter

DJ Delorie wrote:
It's common to want to move PCB layouts into cad for chassis layout
work.  What would be involved in giving PCB this feature?

Write an export HID. It's the same way we export gerber and postscript.

.dxf would be very cool... but having been fooling with .dxf lately, i'd say it has plenty of gotchas. bear in mind, i had never looked inside a .dxf file as of three weeks ago, so YMMV. in the mean time, i have written a program to extract an interesting subset of a .dxf file and convert it to instructions to drive an Epilog laser cutter. (enough to cut table top robot chassis from 3mm acrylic)

the problem is that .dxf has a pretty ad-hoc structure. pulling out pieces that you are interested in is not too hard. reading the whole thing and making sense of it is hard. writing a .dxf file that lots of different .dxf readers will interpret correctly is hard.

QCAD has a GPL'ed dxf i/o library for C++. i'll probably end up re-writing my laser cutter convert to use that library. (another library choice is DIME.) even with the library, writing a correctly structured .dxf file is hard.

don't let me discourage you... i'd love to have .dxf export :) just don't expect to complete it in a weekend.

for my purposes, it sounds like running off the eps sounds sufficient.

-dave