Re: gEDA-user: gerber to .dxf converter

Has there ever been a discussion about exporting hard cad files from PCB ... such as dxf or even a closed proprietary format?

It's common to want to move PCB layouts into cad for chassis layout work. What would be involved in giving PCB this feature? As I understand it, dxf is open. I don't really know if there are gnu or open code modules for creating and working with them--I'm clearly over my head here, but gosh it would be handy.

phil