Re: gEDA-user: anyone has had success with 0.2mm?

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 10:07:23AM -0800, Lope De Vega wrote:

> I'm trying to build a circuit with a cp2102, which has
> 0.5 mm between pins' center (actually 0.2mm between
> pins). It is a qfn-28 package.

I have never played with toner transfer schemes, but I have done
boards with 0.5mm pitch packages and had them professionally printed,
then I soldered the chips on by hand.  I have done it both with a
toaster oven reflow process and with a plain old soldering iron.  Each
method has advantages and disadvantages, but it is doable.  Whether or
not you can do a toner transfer board with that kind of precision is
another matter, and I'm sure DJ can say something about that.

Having boards fabbed can be pretty cheap, especially if they're just
one or two layers, and especially if you don't want soldermask.  It
was cheap enough that I skipped right past trying to etch boards
myself.  These days I do 4-layer boards mostly, so home etching is
just not an option anyway.

--
Randall