Re: gEDA-user: four-layer builds (was: anyone has had success with 0.2mm?)

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 11:30:05AM -0800, Ben Jackson wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 01:28:36PM -0500, Randall Nortman wrote:
> >
> > These days I do 4-layer boards mostly, so home etching is
> > just not an option anyway.
>
> Who are you using for 4 layer?  I just submitted the order that got me
> started (and then sidetracked several times!) on gEDA/PCB:  5x10" 4 layer
> silk/mask on both sides, 3 for $201 (plus about $20 2-day shipping) for
> a 10-day turn at Sierra Proto Express.  (was 60 sq in x3 for $150 when
> I started!)

I have used a few places so far:

pcbfabexpress.com: Very good prices for qty 5, but less than 5 is not
an option and more than 5 doesn't get you any discount.  Good quality,
standard 5-day turn.  $50 per order (not per board) extra charge for
fine-pitch SMT (<0.65mm I think).

pcbexpress.com (owned by Sunstone): Good prices for medium quantities,
like 20 boards.  I was unimpressed with the quality when I ordered
(nearly 2 years ago).  There were two problems: first, they ignored
the part of pcb's gerber output that removes silkscreen from pads,
which caused a few soldering headaches.  Secondly, the drill
tolerances were not great, and the preset drill sizes didn't match my
board anyway.  So with them "rounding down" my hole size, plus sloppy
tolerances on finished hole size, I had to hammer (literally) some of
my 100-mil headers in.

protoexpress.com (Sierra): My recent orders have all been from here.
Excellent quality, expedite at reasonable cost, very reasonable prices
for small quantities.

Everyboard raves about 4pcb.com, but so far I've never ordered from
them because they're usually pretty expensive, at least for the sort
of quantities I do.

--
Randall